This blog is to dismiss any myths about leaflet distribution, and give you concrete facts about the incredible response rates, which can be achieved through door drop marketing. I cannot take credit for the research. It is all freely available on the DMA (Direct Marketing Association) website to all DMA members. I do however believe its relevance will directly benefit you when deciding how to market your business.
Perception: “Door drops don’t have any impact on campaign effectiveness.”
Reality: 88% of respondents say door drop campaigns have boosted awareness of a company’s product or service.
Perception: “Door drops response rates are lower than direct mail material.”
Reality: Door drop response rates compare well with total direct mail, delivering an estimated 18% response rate, compared with 16% on direct mail.
Perception: “Door drop marketing material has very low response rates.”
Reality: 30% of respondents say they have recorded an increase in the average response rates to door drop campaigns over the past 12 months.
Perception: “Door drop marketing doesn’t work.”
Reality: 42% of respondents say door drops are a very important part of their company’s overall media mix.
Perception: “Door drop marketing doesn’t work as well as direct mail, TV or press.”
Reality: Unaddressed door drops are rated higher for ROI than online, press, TV and radio with 34% saying the medium is very effective.
Additional research (Data Talk study for ITV Sept 2009, 3,000 UK adults)
• Door drop is the most received communication channel in terms of recall – 88% compared to DM (60%), TV (59%) and Internet ads (36%).
• Door drops are as acceptable as direct mail for successful campaign engagement.
• Leaflet distribution drives 50% more response than online advertising and similar levels of response to DM (13%) vs door drop (12%).
• 12% of young adults, 15-24 are likely to respond to door drops in the future compared to 13% who are likely to respond to the internet.
• Regarding the types of marketing people are most responsive to, leaflet distribution through doors is top, followed by TV, newspaper/magazine ads and the internet.
What else can we learn from the DMA about leaflet distribution?
• Door drops offer a unique opportunity to deliver a hard-hitting message and call to action; this can be especially impactful as part of an integrated marketing strategy. Leaflet distribution can be easily coordinated to run alongside complementary advertising campaigns on radio, television or in print. Door drops can also be used as a follow-up mechanism to reinforce or build on a single campaign message across multiple media to achieve high levels of consumer recall and response.
• Leaflet distribution can be matched to fit within radio or television catchment areas, sales regions, or an organization’s retail territory.
• Unlike some other media, marketing material delivered via a leaflet distribution can benefit from the standout of being delivered directly into the home. In specific comparison to other media, the following is observed:
◦ Leaflet distribution puts you directly in control of the targeting
◦ There is sometimes a set circulation figure, whereas you can select the quantity you wish to distribute with door drops
◦ The potential opportunity of a leaflet, to be created in a colourful and impactful manner places a message on the householders doormat which can easily be seen and acted upon.
If you are still in any doubt as to whether leaflet distribution would be ideal to build your business, please contact us today on 01484 598555 to arrange a free business building consultation.