Welcome to Mr Flyer's dedicated leaflet distribution page. This page condenses all the vital information your business needs in order to plan and execute repeatable, response-focused and sustainable leaflet drop campaigns. We reveal our most successful strategy and share the secrets to creating compelling artwork, eco-friendly print and ultra-targeted flyer distributions.
About Mr Flyer
Since 2011 it has been our mission to build our customers business and build their brand through printed marketing. We provide multi-award-winning marketing strategy, artwork, print, nationwide leaflet distribution and direct mail, all undertaken in our 15,000sq. ft facilities based in West Yorkshire.
To give you extra assurance that what we are about to share with you is credible and beneficial for your business, we are members of the JICMAIL (Joint Industry Committee for Mail), DMA (Data & Marketing Agency), IPIA (Independent Print Industries Association), Love Paper, Two Sides and the SME Climate Hub. We also hold ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO27001 accreditations, and most recently became an accredited World land Trust Carbon-Balanced Printer.
How Leaflet Drops Work
Door to Door leaflet drops are a very effective targeted marketing strategy for building your business. If you want to reach potential customers in specific areas, our door-to-door service is what you need. There are multiple terms for leaflet drops, including leaflet/flyer distribution, door to door, leaflet delivery and more. They are identical services, where your leaflet is hand-delivered through residents (and sometimes businesses) letterboxes - the delivery person is literally walking from door to door with the same leaflet(s).
The similar and often confused service is direct mail. Direct mail is where your leaflet or printed promotional item is posted directly to the recipient rather than going to every house in a given area. Direct mail is more targeted and is very popular with business to business (B2B) marketing.
At Mr Flyer, we enable our clients to plan and execute targeted door to door distribution campaigns. We are in a unique position to offer our clients the complete package, which covers an initial free consultation, demographic targeting, actionable artwork, print (both in house and as a print management service) and, finally, distribution fulfilled by the Royal Mail.
Leaflet Distribution Benefits
The return on investment is staggeringly high, even when compared with social media and other digital-based marketing. No matter the format you send (leaflet, booklet, etc.), these items have the tactile influence to inspire customers like no other marketing channel. MarketReach and JICMAIL have extensive data on leaflet drop effectiveness, so here's a taster for you:
"65% of door drops are looked at immediately upon arrival, with 10% resulting in commercial action."
"10% of door drops sent result in some form of commercial action being taken, meaning someone in the household has bought or used a voucher (2%), gone online to find out more (2%) or discussed the contents of the mailing (6%)."
"The average time door drops are kept in the house is 38 days, and 23% of all mail gets shared around the household."
"A door drop is interacted with 2.8 times."
"The younger generation are engaging with door drops because it's a novelty to get a physical item."
As these statistics demonstrate, one leaflet is actually interacted with numerous times, thus multiplying its effectiveness. This last stat also diminishes the perception that leaflet drops are most suited to the older generation. The most compelling stat to conclude leaflet distribution benefits is:
"Mail is generally remembered by customers with research showing it has 35% better recall than social media advertising and 49% more than email."Enquire today
Choosing a Door to Door Company
For your business to achieve and even surpass the incredible benefits expressed above, it's vital to choose the right leaflet distribution company. Many companies out there simply want to operate as a fulfilment house, solely delivering your leaflets. What we do is rather different. We work as a marketing agency, providing industry-specific advice and implementation, which means you don't need to plan everything, and your ROI can be much more substantial.
There are many dodgy distribution companies out there, just like in any industry. Still, unless you know what you're looking for in this industry, it's often harder to differentiate before it's too late. These four considerations should help steer you to a trustworthy and results-driven leaflet distribution company:
1. Price. Our sales team have heard this line hundreds of times: 'Oh, I can get it for just £'X' by Distributor 'Y'! However, it usually transpires they want Mr Flyer to match that crazy low price as they don't trust the other company! As the adage goes, if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
It takes anywhere between 5 and 8 hours to distribute 1,000 flyers, and even longer in rural areas. Based on the average of 6 hours at £10.42 p/h (NLW), this totals £62.52 and doesn't factor in travel time, travel cost, employer pension and NI contribution or other business overheads. How then we hear of leaflet distribution companies charging circa £55 per 1000 for solus distribution (just your flyer) - something clearly doesn't stack up!
2. GPS tracking. Back in 2012, we were one of the pioneers of GPS tracking, yet as years went on, it became the norm. We did see some dodgy businesses vanish as a result, but then a client informed us of their previous distributor's GPS con. They would provide GPS tracked maps of your chosen area; however, they weren't from your distribution - it was old tracking! This client back-checked a good chunk of the GPS tracked map area, and no one had received his flyer! Unless it is live, GPS tracking is pretty pointless.
3. Solus or Shared Distribution. Solus distribution is where your business' flyer goes through each recipients letterbox on its own. The benefit to this is total attention but at a much higher price. Also, just because the distribution company you choose only delivers your flyer, other companies may distribute there.
Shared distribution is where your leaflet is distributed with other leaflets. Most distribution companies won't put competing businesses together, but some do. The main benefit of shared distribution is that it's cheaper than solus.
Thanks to our affiliation with the Royal Mail, we can offer postcode specific, targeted shared leaflet distributions throughout the UK, and your leaflet is never distributed with direct competition. Further, with our service, your flyer has the opportunity to be delivered with addressed mail. This enhances response rates because when people look at their mail, they will be looking at your leaflet too. We had one customer who converted from our old solus distribution service onto our cheaper Royal Mail shared distribution and his response rates more than doubled!
4. Proof focused or marketing focused. Many door to door companies focus their marketing on proof of delivery but fail to address how that can benefit you and your business. Always remember WHY you're doing this - you want to see a return on your investment, you want to build your business. The marketing aspect is vital, and that's what the remainder of the page covers.
What we also recommend is to look for governing bodies, awards and great testimonials. As mentioned above, we are members of JICMAIL, DMA, IPIA, Love Paper, Two Sides and the SME Climate Hub. We also hold ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO27001 accreditations, are an accredited World land Trust Carbon-Balanced Printer, have won multiple awards, and have high quality 5* reviews.
1. What is the overall purpose of the campaign?
2. Who and where are your ideal target audience?
3. What quantity and frequency fits your budget?
4. What trigger or call to action is appropriate on your artwork?
5. Which paper will produce the best ROI?
6. What sort of leaflet delivery is most appropriate?
7. What strategy provides the best overall return with leaflet deliveries?
The Essential Door to Door Strategy
The most important strategy for any leaflet delivery is the drip effect marketing strategy. This is where you drip feed your message to your target audience frequently. Consider how many times have you responded to an email, a pop-up on Facebook, an advert on TV or any other marketing on the first view? I doubt it's often! Many of us are both cautious of marketing (and salespeople) and often very forgetful and easily distracted! Therefore businesses must consistently advertise to:
- Build brand trust (not a fly by night business),
- Keep reminding the receiver of the benefits you will provide them,
- Ensure that the call to action is so clear and strong that they will act promptly before getting distracted (again!).
Unfortunately, most people are unaware of this essential business-building strategy and opt for the very ineffective one-hit-wonder 'strategy'. To reap the rewards from drip effect marketing, it must form part of an overarching strategy.
"Advertising mail delivers increased customer value by increasing sales activity through long-term engagement." DMA
"Mail isn't a one-off thing in a box; it's about building connections over time." JICMAIL
"Your advertising mail (including leaflets, flyers and brochures) will deliver the best results if you design it with a big-picture view. Ensure that you map your customer journey out over a full year." DMA
As the stats above demonstrate, you will reap the highest returns when using leaflet distribution in conjunction with your other marketing and perform it frequently and consistently. Our most successful and long term clients all utilise this essential door to door strategy.
At Mr Flyer, we provide the complete service, including initial consultation, artwork creation, eco-friendly print, distribution, and follow up - and all of this is part of a long term ongoing campaign. Here are the essentials when planning a campaign, all of which we cover in your initial conversation:
1. Target demographic and location(s). This determines the demographic to target and where (such as a Mazda car dealership seeking a household income of £50k+, aged 40+ and within a 5-mile radius of the showroom). The target audience also directs the message and artwork, the print format, and ideal frequency.
2. Actionable artwork. Artwork must be actionable - we recommend three keys:
1. Bold headline. Usually in the form of a question relevant to the receiver,
2. Eye-catching image. With the Mazda example, not a showroom photo, but an attractive looking 40-year-old couple smiling driving along a country road...in a Mazda!)
3. Call to action (CTA). Without a call to action, no one will act - it's crazy how much information some prospects want to provide without giving a reason to respond! With Mazda, we recommended giving a £10 M&S voucher for every test drive taken when a lead mentioned/returned the flyer - from a 20k distribution, Mazda sold 12 brand new cars!
3. Appropriate print. The print choice must be appropriate to your business and marketing message. E.g. if you offer discount TVs, it can be on thin paper (130gsm - 150gsm). Still, if you provide a more premium product, your print must portray that (250gsm+). Often budget dictates paper type, size and format. Yet, it would be better to reduce quantity rather than compromise on print. Further, if your business truly cares about our climate, we are the only flyer distribution comapny in the UK to provide carbon-balanced (offset) print for your door to door campaigns.
4. The right delivery. The bulk of this page focuses on door to door leaflet distribution; however, direct mail distribution is much more appropriate in some circumstances. Typically most leaflet distribution companies don't offer this, which means you may be receiving the wrong type of delivery. Commonly, the more targeted you need to be, the more chance a direct mail campaign is more appropriate, especially if you are business to business (B2B) focused. We always advise what's most appropriate for you.
What our customers say
“ Great team at Mr Flyer which tailored distribution to our target areas and gained us many new clients. Have booked more drops in the future! Thanks Guys. ”
Samantha & Dan, Treat Your Feet
“ Mr Flyer did an excellent job distributing around 13000 recruitment flyers for us. The return was excellent and as a result we are in discussion with Mr Flyer to run another 25000 flyers. ”
Sandra, Quickslide Windows & Doors
“ Jacob was really helpful and professional throughout the process! We wanted flyers to be distributed under a tight timeframe and he went above and beyond to make sure this happened. So far we are getting some really good results from the Flyers so thanks so much! :) ”
Why Choose Mr Flyer
Hopefully, you are now in a much more informed position to choose the most appropriate company to perform your leaflet campaigns, and you have identified the most effective strategies and techniques to reap the benefits for your business.
If you're still considering whether or not to use us, here are some of our strengths that should benefit your business:
1. Experienced. We have traded since 2011, and in that time, have successfully helped thousands of businesses with their door to door marketing.
2. Results-focused. As discussed, everything we do is to build our clients businesses, which is why we use tried and tested marketing principles for every campaign.
3. In-house services. With our 25+ team, we can provide every service for you, all under one roof.
4. Nationwide mailing. We use the Royal Mail to fulfil our distributions, which gives us access to over 29 million households in the UK, split across c. 9,300 postcode sectors.
5. Complementary services. We provide artwork, print (including an optional eco-friendly carbon-balanced upgrade), leaflet distribution, direct mail, pick and pack, contract packing and even hand assembling printed point of display items, all done in our 15,000sq. Ft facilities.
6. Part of a larger group. In the first quarter of 2020, we made a strategic merger with one of the UK's leading direct mail companies, The Flow Group. This merger has brought cutting edge technology, and in-house machinery and a joining of two strong teams with wide-ranging skill sets that our customers can benefit from.
7. Accreditations & Awards. Mr Flyer likely has the most accreditations and awards than any other leaflet distribution company in the UK! We are members of JICMAIL, DMA, IPIA, Love Paper, Two Sides and the SME Climate Hub. We also hold ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO27001 accreditations, are an accredited World land Trust Carbon-Balanced Printer, have won multiple awards, and have a whole host of 5* reviews.
Leaflet Delivery Implementation
We have covered a vast amount of information here. Hopefully, it has been beneficial and that the pointers given will spare you from losing thousands of your hard-earned pounds with a dodgy distribution company. Instead, you now have the ammo to execute a repeatable and scalable business-building leaflet distribution campaign.
Our call to action for you is to get in touch with us today, let whoever answers the phone know you have read this page, and ask that you speak with a consultant to see how Mr Flyer can help you implement a business building flyer distribution.
Accreditations, Awards & Sustainable Commitments
Mr Flyer is a multi-award-winning company. We are ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO27001 compliant. In addition, we are an accredited member of the DMA (Data & Marketing Association), JICMAIL (Joint Industry Committee for Mail) and the IPIA (Independent Print Industries Association).
Our Green commitments and credentials include, Carbon Balanced Printer with the World Land Trust, SME Climate Hub commitment and Love Paper & Two Sides members.