Over the years Mr Flyer has helped dozens of estate and letting agents to dramatically increase their vendors and landlords.
If you’re looking to increase your vendors and landlords with a proven, measurable and cost-effective design, print & distribution strategy, get in touch with the Mr Flyer team today to start your campaign.
What our customers say
“ It’s the first time I have used Mr Flyer and to have achieved 50 new valuations from our first leaflet drop...was beyond our expectations. Thanks Guys. ”
Paul Bottomley, Whitegates Estate Agents
The Estate Agents Strategy for Finding More Vendors and Landlords
It's worth beginning by saying how vital it is to have a marketing mix and not rely on one approach to build your estate agency business.
However, that being said, not all approaches are created equal. An article in the Negotiator Magazine stated that for "people born in 1994 or later…34% had deleted social media permanently, while 64% were taking a break". As a result, businesses need to find an approach that consumers, firstly, trust, then subsequently, engage with. Read on to learn about the essential marketing strategy that has proven to be effective for our estate agency clients nationwide.
"Receiving information on paper increases trust among customers." DMA
Estate Agents Two-Pronged Marketing
What is the two-pronged approach? It is two different methods for two different markets. In most estate agency businesses, the revenue is a combination of sales commission (from vendors) and management fees (from landlords or property investors). So the two questions on every agency's minds are, how do we increase sales commission and increase rental management fees?
How Estate Agents can Increase Sales Commission
The 'first prong' is door to door flyer distribution; this is the tried and tested strategy. Out of all the different sectors we work for, estate agents are the most successful in terms of ROI when it comes to flyer distribution to attract new vendors. There are several factors, which determine your success.
These range from:
- Choosing the best locations using demographic data combined with your local knowledge.
- Having a design that not only gives value to the receiver (e.g. property stats on their village) but also contains a clear call to action - a reason to respond (it doesn't have to be a discount!) and an eye-catching inspirational image (so not your office!).
- Define your print by the audience. If you're delivering to the most premium houses in your area, make sure you're printing on premium paper with premium finishes.
- Finally, don't treat flyer distribution as a one-hit wonder! The Negotiator article states, "home movers only engage with agents every 3, 5 or even 10 years. They won't be actively tracking a brand outside of the moving process, but the drip-feed of door drops keeps the agency's name fresh for when the time does come to move." Therefore, repeat to the same postcode sectors every couple of months.
"Advertising mail delivers increased customer value by increasing sales activity through long-term engagement." DMA
How do Letting Agents Increase Management Fees?
Now we come onto the 'second prong' of the strategy – how to reach landlords and property investors. It would be pot luck for your flyer to land in a landlords home, right? So, you need something more 'direct'. Well, we are excited to say we have exactly the service to achieve this: Direct Mail. We use this 'second prong' to target landlords and investors.
Direct Mail is broken down into eight steps (we do ALL of these steps for you!):
- Purchase a database of landlords/investors and their addresses (either locally or across the whole of the UK);
- Design your first mail items (e.g. a cover letter and a flyer);
- Print them;
- Personalise them with the landlord/investor's address details;
- Insert them into envelopes;
- Mail them out on a 1st/2nd class service; and (most importantly)
What you send is entirely up to you – it could be a postcard, a letter, or a gift/keepsake (such as a calendar). Whatever it is, we can help you with every step to get your agency directly in front of landlords and property investors.
"Mail isn't a one-off thing in a box; it's about building connections over time." JICMAIL
Our Flyer Design Solution
We cover our three keys in every flyer design, which have proved time and again essential for maximum returns:
A bold headline. Pose this as a question relevant to your target audience. E.g. 'Want to get in shape for free this summer?' Then follow with a sub-headline, 'Now you can with a 7-day FREE PASS'.
An eye-catching image. Not your premises (it's likely not inspiring!), but a before and after picture, or an inspirational man and woman on gym equipment..
A call to action. Based on the above, it would reiterate your 7-day pass gift. It should also highlight a prompt expiry, so you see a quick return on your investment.
How to Reach Leads Your Competitors Are Missing
The vast majority of estate agents utilise the first prong shared above, so it is down to the strategy and execution to stand out from your competitors. However, the second prong is surprisingly under-utilised by most agents, so it is a valuable approach to reach leads your competitors are missing. There is, however, even more you can do, which 99% of your competitors likely don't know about!
We have partnered with a specialist data provider, which enables our clients to target people as they progress through the home buying process. As a result, our home mover data is shown to improve response rates by up to 1000% compared with standard targeting.
The most effective uses for our Home Mover data include:
- Direct Mail (DM) to home sellers who have not sold after 2+ months on the market and, therefore, may be open to instructing a new estate agent to sell for them. Feedback from estate agents has shown that this converts anything up to 9% (subject to DM message/call to action).
- Direct Mail to sellers whose houses won't sell. They may then consider renting out their property, so they don't miss out on their dream move.
- Direct Mail to people renting their home to persuade them to consider selling, given that the market is so hot right now. Ideal for accidental landlords.
As with the first two prongs, agencies that repeat every 2-4 weeks using our multiple data license model receive much stronger returns. To learn more about our home mover data, and associated services, you can download our Home Mover PDF.
"Your advertising mail (including leaflets, flyers and brochures) will deliver the best results if you design it with a big-picture view. Ensure that you map your customer journey out over a full year." DMA
Ready to get started?
Whether you're a startup agency or have multiple offices, we are positioned to help you build your business and your brand through the proven marketing strategies of door to door flyer distribution and direct mail. To start attracting new vendors and new landlords, contact us today.Get Started
Mr Flyer is a multi-award-winning company. We are ISO9001, ISO14001 and ISO27001 compliant. In addition, we are an accredited member of the DMA (Data & Marketing Association), JICMAIL and the IPIA (Independent Print Industries Association).
Mr Flyer is trusted by some of the UK’s smartest businesses. Why not join our continually expanding number of customers seeing a strong ROI with us.